Here is an exercise to help you gain a few miles per hour of clubhead speed over time and allow you to pick up that much needed yardage off the tee. The objective is to slowly introduce your body to the increased speed, efficiency and agility necessary to generate additional clubhead speed.
Here is what is required:
- It is important to get loose prior to starting your speed sets
- Using your driver you want to hit two sets of five golf balls with a recovery period in between each set
- There should be little concern for accuracy or even quality of shot – the sole objective is speed
- The first shot in each set should be at your normal driver speed
- Each shot builds on the speed of the previous shot
- The final shot in each set should be the absolute fastest you can possibly swing
If you can do two speed sets as mapped out above 3 times a week for a month I would be surprised if you had not gained 4 mph of clubhead speed when making a normal feeling golf swing. That’s enough for 10 more yards off every tee box!
Additional resources for more distance off the tee: