Posts Tagged ‘nick watney’
Here are a few of my thoughts after witnessing the PGA Championship:
- Martin Kaymer played like a champion and he thoroughly deserved the title. Don’t forget the up and down on the 72nd hole he had, not to mention the stunning two he made at 17 in the playoff. I love to see talented, hard working youngsters breaking through. Well done Martin, Louis and Graeme!
- You would think the PGA of America could have one of their 28,000 members to follow the final group so as to avoid what happened on the 72nd hole. I do not blame anybody for the incident and it is certainly Dustin Johnson’s responsibility to know where he is playing from, but let’s have a little foresight here….
- Whistling Straits has more bunkers than all the courses in Africa (not a true statement, but it just might!) and it needs to get pushed off the edge of Wisconsin and into the lake! In fact while they’re at it they can push another future PGA site, The Ocean Course at Kiawah into the ocean too. The last time I checked golf was meant to be fun and you couldn’t pay me enough to play those two courses in particular. They are both horrible!
- How about this picture posted at PGA.com of some kids building sand castles in a bunker! How many majors will this ever happen at? I guess that’s what happens when you have 1000 too many bunkers.
- Poor Nick Watney – what started as such a promising day turned into a demoralizing experience. I hope he can come back from this.
- Dustin Johnson is a tough kid and I believe his 72nd hole nightmare will only steel his attitude towards greater heights. I firmly believe he will come back better than ever from this.
- I like the way Bubba played the playoff, but he simply must opt to miss long on the final hole versus a shot that has the potential to be short – especially since Kaymer had a poor lie in the rough.
- For all the focus on Tiger I don’t believe he seems to be swinging any better YET. Every time I saw him on day 4 he finished with his right shoulder high from the clubhead being trapped behind him and seemed as wild as ever. I do think his change to Sean Foley is an excellent choice and he will get better under his guidance. And no Sean Foley is not a Stack and Tilter, just an instructor who understands that all swings are unique unto the individual and everything in the swing should be directed around impact.
A little insider info is that Tiger called up Foley right after he and Hank parted ways and asked Foley to drop all his other students (notably Mahan and O’Hair) and start teaching only him. Foley said, “Thanks, but no thanks!”
I’m sure it’s just me, but the PGA Championship is really starting to feel like the fifth major – and there are only four! It just does not appeal to me in the unique manner each of the other three majors do. Anybody up for starting a petition for only three majors?