Body position is the most important factor influencing impact and the quality of the golf shots you are hitting. In the illustration notice how Annika's right side seems to form a straight line. From the outside of her back foot all the way up her right side to the right side of her head can be covered with a straight line laying at 84 degrees. This indicates the 84 degree secret.
It is quite amazing how many of the top golfers obey this '84 Degree Secret'!
To be clear this is not Stack and Tilt which actually encouraged the golfer to feel as if they are leaning towards the target. Here the upper body remains steady/centered while the body pivots to the top without drifting across the line.
The '84 Degree Secret' is essential to achieving a correct impact as it makes it simple for the golfer to get to the proper hit position. Think of it this way; if you move the upper body six inches off the ball in the backswing, you now have to find a way to get it back to where it started, at exactly the right time, and in one third the amount of time it took to get it out of position.
Keep the upper body centered/over the ball and you will start to compress the ball like never before!
A recap of the last four articles and how they pertain to a great impact:
- A strong grip allows the handle to lead the club head with the club face remaining square.
- A 'vertical' set-up where the head is centered between the feet and there is minimal shoulder tilt prepares the body for the proper pivot.
- A steeper shoulder pivot keeps the upper body centered and allows for a descending attack into the ball.
- The 84 degree secret! Eliminate lateral motion and keep the head over the ball to make for a simplified transition into the hit.
Should you have any questions or queries please feel free to post a comment!
Things to ponder:
- Tiger is in for a battle this weekend! Good for golf and good for us.
- Quail Hollow has the look and feel of a US Open, but trust me it is not even close. There are six holes on the course where I would be thinking birdie! Now the other twelve are a different story......
- There are over 15 million active blogs available online. Thanks for reading this one!
- I like what Stuart Appleby said about the 17th at Quail Hollow, "Bad design!" I second that motion.
- Phil seems to be working out and in better shape, yet how does he always manage to look a little chubby to me? Amy needs to up his shirt size me thinks.
- Please post a comment - I am heartbroken that there have not been any thus far.........
- Stay well!