A yip is the brain responding to an adverse event. I believe it is just like a dog that has been beaten; every time anybody lifts a hand to the dog it will flinch and cower in response to the pain it is anticipating, but has not yet felt. And yips in golf is exactly the same way! The brain flinches at the expectation of a 'failed' outcome.Read More
The golf course, designed by Greg Norman, is a true links gem with nine holes going out and nine more bringing you home. The course plays 6,885 yards from the back tees and it has everything from pot bunkers, to undulating greens, exciting, driveable par fours and treacherous par threes. The five par threes are exhilarating with the shorter 9th, 11th and 14th leading the pack.
The signature 14th hole plays to 111yards from the back tees and I have hit every club in my bag from a seven iron up in to the green. Or at least the vicinity of the green! As you can tell from the picture above it really is a case of do or die! While the ocean is in view from sixteen of the eighteen holes it certainly does not come into play (on all of them!) and all skill levels should be able to have a fantastic day of golf. There are five different sets of tees offered. Other than one questionable green complex (#12) I thought all the holes were memorable, very playable and interesting. Actually quite a rare combination.
While the course has been known to abuse a few of it's guests you will not experience anything of the sort at the Lodge at Doonbeg. I have had the privilege of spending a handful of nights within her solid stone walls and I have never experienced a finer hotel in all my travels. The food, bedding, customer service and attention to detail are second to none! Oh, and the view is not too bad either! Should the Guinness not have done the trick after the round, the ladies, and gents if you prefer, have access to the world class spa to soothe away those few too many swings out on the course.
Terri and I will travel with a group of 'friends' to Doonbeg later this year to compete in the Norman Trophy. We cannot wait to experience all the luxury and links Doonbeg has to offer.
Things to Ponder:
- The other day my son asked asked me why I had a Bobby Jones haircut?! That boy is getting crazy about golf....
- My prayers are with the Mickelson family at the moment. Occasions like this make me realize what truly is important. Tell someone you care about that you love them!
- Look for my pick this week, Mr. Ian Poulter, to dominate the field!
- Thanks to you all for feedback on my post "Family Golf" - I appreciate the words of encouragement.
- Charles Barkley is a funny man, but Hank Haney has had no chance from day one! You cannot cure yips with instruction! The only hope Sir Charles has is cross handed (my choice) or left handed. End of story!
- Anybody out there know of some secret links golf destinations please let me know.