Observations from another fantastic Heritage tournament:
- Can golf course designers please be forced into watching the Harbour Town broadcast? You don't need to build 8,000 yard behemoth golf courses to make the game a challenge. Just about every hole at Harbour Town is memorable and above all else, interesting. No wonder the players love this golf course!
- The toughest hole on Sunday was the par three 14th hole. It played to a stroke average of 3.472 and a paltry 20 out of 72 players managed to find the green!
- The back nine on Sunday was brutal - it played to a stroke average of 36.847. Almost 2 strokes over par!
- Every hole on the back nine at Harbour Town played over par on Sunday, including the par-5 15th hole (5.028).
- Only one player out of the top 10 finishers played the final nine in under par - Kris Blanks shot a 1 under 34.
- All six past champions of the Verizon Heritage competing this week made the cut: Boo Weekley (T12), Stewart Cink (T15), Aaron Baddeley (T22), Brian Gay (T32), Glen Day (T53) and Davis Love III (71).
- Ricky Barnes followed up a T10 at last week's Masters Tournament with a T5 on Sunday, making him the only player to post top-10 finishes in both events.
- Hats off to Brian Davis for his honorable call in the playoff. Davis called a two-stroke penalty on himself on the only playoff hole after touching a loose impediment during his backswing (Rule 13-4).
- John Vander Borght explains what went wrong during the playoff and why it was, and should have been, a penalty.
- Jim Furyk is now 3-7 in playoffs, while Brian Davis falls to 0-1.
- The victory is the 15th of Furyk's career and comes in his 419th PGA Tour start.
- Ricky Fowler looked like a hunter in the Wisconsin woods on Sunday. Dressed completely in orange, he called the color "Okie State orange". I thought they might simply be trying to track him from outer space!
- Player stats:
Driving Accuracy - N. O'Hern 91.07% (field 68.05%)
Driving Distance - G. DeLaet 295.6 yds (field 272.9 yds)
GIR - B. Weekley 75% (field 56.77%)
Total Putts - B. Molder 24.75 (field 27.39)
- Bogey-free rounds :
R1 -- T. Immelman, B. Molder, N. O'Hern and S. Appleby R2 -- B. Molder, B. Baird, C. Villegas, S. Levin, S. Ames, P. Casey, B. Adams R3 -- J. Furyk, B. Davis, S. Ames, B. Baird, L. Donald, B. Weekley, T. Gillis, O. Uresti, C. Tidland R4 -- None
- Srixon hit the jackpot at Harbour Town with two players that use their equipment dueling it out in a playoff. Here are a few interesting notes on the two golfers and their respective bags from Adam Barr at PGATour.com
- See what the local newspaper, the Island Packet had to say.
Jim Furyk on being presented with his new red tartan jacket:
I'd like to say I make it look good, but I know that's not the case.
I so hope that this special community and event can find a way to procure a sponsor.