This malady has the ability to ruin the game for any golfer. I have seen golfers spend thousands of dollars, seek counseling, sell their clubs and quit playing the game because they could not overcome the dreaded shanks.
Shanks most often occur when the club approaches the ball too far from the outside, but every now and then, particularly with better players, shanks can be due to the club approaching too far from the inside.
This video will help all hosel rocketeers, but mostly those whose club is approaching too far from the outside. Watch...
When you start to hit shanks try to keep your heart/emotions out of the equation and use your head/intellect.
Notes when practicing:
- DO NOT move further away from the ball as this will often exacerbate the problem
- Count out 10 balls to do the drill
- Set up as you normally would with the clubhead centered behind the ball
- Scrunch your toes towards your heels to keep you from toppling toward the ball
- Make two practice swings from this start position but swing inside the ball
- Hit the shot making a strong effort to hit the ball well off the toe of the club
- Repeat this 10 times without emotion
Notes when playing:
- After you've hit one shank on the course find an old divot and set up to as you normally would
- Scrunch your toes back towards your heels
- Make four practice swings where the club passes inside the divot
- The next shot you play do the same thing making sure you emphasize a toe-sided strike
You can do this, but the big challenge is keeping emotion at bay. Keep your head in the equation, use your understanding and you've got a chance.
And while we're on the topic. How about a little shank trivia? Did you know that a shank will often strike the face twice and sometimes even three times, as evidenced here...
NO PENALTY THOUGH! As if hitting that shot was not penalty enough....
This free website's biggest source of support is when you have simply seen enough and decide to call to book a lesson or golf school. You can contact me HERE. If you live in another state or country please consider making a purchase HERE or HERE. It will help your game and it will help me to keep adding to this free website. Thanks again for your support! Andrew.